Updated on 20 March 2020
Best Petroleum Engineering Colleges in India – Scope, Eligibility & Opportunities,Fees 2020 Rankings
Petroleum Engineering in Bangalore 2020:
Oil is money. The balance of the world, the different economies involved, and the services that are provided depend on the vast reserves of oil and natural gases and their trade.
Fluctuation in oil prices destabilizes everything, which goes to show how important it is to explore and preserve our natural gases. Exploration and generation of hydrocarbons (crude oil or natural gas) is a very significant function that is executed on a large scale basis around the world.
Petroleum is required in the production of pharmaceuticals, chemical products, fertilizers, and various other products. There is a reason why Oil is termed as the ‘Black Gold’. It’s pretty obvious, isn’t it? Why do you think the Arabs have so much power? They are sitting over billions of barrels of oil and natural gas.
However, as time passes on, these extensive reserves are depleting and there is an air of concern.
Drilling into the ground and unearthing hydrocarbons (crude oil and natural gas) is no easy task. It’s an extensive process. The comprehensive study of it is called Petroleum Engineering.
Petroleum Engineering studies is the best and most rewarding pathway into the trillion-dollar global juggernaut that is known as the Oil and Gas Industry.
Want to know more about the course? Read on…
What is Petroleum Engineering?
There are various processes and activities involved in the petroleum sector. The processes are broadly categorized by the following flow of operations:
Petroleum Engineering focuses on the first three steps. Most colleges in India offer a Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.) course in Petroleum Engineering. The undergraduate programme is the most complete course for candidates who wish to join the massive oil and gas industry.
The first year covers the basic principles of engineering, which are common for most major branches such as Mechanical, Electrical, Computers, and Civil. Topics such as Engineering Mechanics, Mathematics, Computer Programming, Applied Chemistry, Engineering Drawing, Elements of Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Physics, English and Communication Skills are covered.
The crux of Petroleum Engineering kicks in from the second year onwards. As stated earlier, Petroleum Engineering is a broad area of study, which also involves the fundamentals of geology and an understanding of subsurface conditions.
The following topics are given the spotlight as part of the course:
- General Geology
- Geology and Surveying
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Petroleum Exploration
- Thermodynamics for Petroleum Engineers
- Process Heat Transfer
- Drilling Technology
- Drilling Fluids
- Well Logging and Formation Evaluation
- Petroleum Production Engineering
- Petroleum Refinery
- Petrochemical Engineering
- Surface Production Operations
- Pipeline Engineering
- Petroleum Economics, Policies and Regulations
- Petroleum Reservoir Engineering
The course is highly practical in nature with drilling and reservoir engineering simulations, insightful visits to oil companies and industries, and detailed lab demonstrations being conducted.
B.Tech. In Petroleum Engineering Duration:
B.Tech. In Petroleum Engineering is a 4-year undergraduate course that is divided into 8 semesters, with each year consisting of two terms.
A handful of colleges offer the Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.) course in Petroleum Engineering, which is pretty much the same.
B.Tech. in Petroleum Engineering Eligibility Criteria at Bangalore:
- Candidate must have completed 10+2 under the science stream with compulsory subject combination Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics
- The minimum cut-off is 60% for general category candidates and for reserved category candidates it’s set at 55%.
- Most colleges would also need you to clear an entrance exam. Some colleges would conduct their own aptitude test.
- The nationally accepted test is the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Main
B.Tech. In Petroleum Engineering Admission Procedure in Bangalore 2020:
- First and foremost, you must make sure you score well in your 10+2 exams.
- Shortlist colleges that align with your preferences. The factors you must keep in mind are:
- Campus culture
- Placement scope
- Provided amenities such as accommodation and other extracurricular activities.
- Once you have picked the college of your choice, get hold of the application forms, which can be collected from the college campus or, can be downloaded from the official website of the college.
- Fill the application form, get all the documents required along with academic mark sheets and passport size photographs.
- Submit all of them with the filled application form back to the college before the deadline.
- Get the details of the entrance exam, apply for the same and begin the preparations.
- Once the entrance exam results are announced, colleges will release a merit list based on the scores and ranks.
- If your name features on the list, pay the first year’s fees and confirms your admission.
- Colleges that don’t require you to clear an entrance exam will put up a merit list based on 10+2 scores.
B.Tech. In Petroleum Engineering Syllabus and Course Structure as per Presidency University Bangalore 2020:
Given below is the semester-wise breakdown of the syllabus:
- Theory lectures
- Industrial visits
- Guest lectures and seminars
Modes of Assessment:
- Written examinations
- Practicals and Viva Voce
- Project Submissions
- Attendance and Class Participation
- Short class tests
- Report Presentations
The summer internship lasts for 4-6 weeks, which also contributes to the overall assessment of a candidate.
B.Tech. in Petroleum Engineering Average Course Fees:
The average course fee is Rs. 65,000 per semester, which comes up to Rs. 1.4 lakhs per year. So the total fee for the entire course would come up to Rs. 5.6 lakhs.
Top private institutes can charge as high as Rs. 2.5 lakhs per year, which amounts to Rs. 10 lakhs per for 4 years.
As Petroleum Engineering is a niche engineering discipline and highly technical in nature, the course is a little costly than the rest.
However, there is no need to worry as most top banks provide student loans at low-interest rates and convenient plans and schemes for repayment.
B.Tech. in Petroleum Engineering Jobs and Career Scope:
The trillion-dollar Oil and Gas empire is broken down into three major sectors, namely:
Upstream – Search and Exploration of natural gas through underground sources done via drilling and other methods of geological penetration
Midstream – The phase that involves transportation and storage of procured raw minerals or natural resources.
Downstream – The final phase involves refining and processing the natural gas and minerals that have been unearthed. The finished products such as petrol, diesel, kerosene, jet fuel LPG, etc are then distributed across different marketing channels.
The sectors given above can be further bifurcated based on the specialization and nature of the role. Reservoir Engineering, Productions Engineering, Drilling Engineering, Subsurface Engineering, and Drilling Fluid Engineering some of the subareas that constitute the massive chain of operations.
While a B.Tech. In Petroleum Engineering graduate is primarily tasked with upstream and downstream duties, they can also work in the midstream areas as the careful storage of the raw materials and the marketing of the finished goods also involves expert supervision.
As stressed many times throughout this blog post, the Oil and Gas industry is one of the most remunerative job sectors in the world, not just in India, IN THE WORLD!
India is the third largest consumer of energy and petroleum-based products, with the Oil and Gas sector attracting investments to the tune of 25 Billion dollars. The Upstream and Downstream area, which deals with extraction and refining, has been given the freedom to accept 100% foreign direct investments.
The life of a Petroleum Engineer is unlike a corporate businessman. Petroleum Engineers often have rigorous field jobs wherein they have to work closely with geologists at extraction sites. Once they discover a potential area that may hold reserves of oil, Petroleum Engineers then get in contractors and geologists to study the areas and its subsurface conditions. Petroleum Engineers are then responsible for chalking out a plan along with the equipment and machines that would be required for the project. And we haven’t even begun the project yet! Yes, nobody said Petroleum Engineering is an easy career.
The biggest advantage of taking up Petroleum Engineering is the tremendous job scope, professional growth, and immense job security.
The Indian Oil and Gas Industry is growing exponentially and there is no shortage of jobs. Additionally, you have different options and room for specialized job profiles.
Just to give you a better understanding of what you may get into, we have given some of the notable job profiles and recruiters below:
- Trainee Engineer
- Reservoir Engineer
- Industrial Engineer
- Drilling Engineer
- Petroleum Engineer
- Process Engineer
- Systems Engineer
- Business Development Manager
- Senior Process Engineer
- Project Engineer
- Market Research Analyst
- Petroleum Production Engineer
- Machinery Surveillance Engineer
- Supervisory Petroleum Engineer
- Chemical Engineer
- Research Engineer
- Process and Control Engineer
- Mining Engineers
- Material Science Engineer
- Piping Design Engineer
- Documentation Controller
- Structural Engineer
- Pipeline Transportation Engineer
- Operation and Distribution Engineer
- Refinery Engineer/ Manager
Top Oil and Gas Recruiters In India:
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd
- Indian Oil Corporation
- Petronet LNG
- Aban Offshore
- Gujarat Gas
- Duke Offshore
- Selan Explore
- Reliance Petroleum
- Oil India Limited
- Essar Oil
- TATA Petrodyne Limited
- Jindal Drilling
- Asian Oilfield
- Hindustan Oil Exploration Company
- Dolphin Offshore
- Deep Industries
Oil and Gas is a global giant in terms of job opportunities and that’s one of the biggest pros of getting into this field. You stand the chance to travel around the world for offshore mining, drilling and exploration projects in locations that you may have never even heard of. Who doesn’t like traveling the world, right?
Oil and Gas exploration is one of the biggest agendas of every country and thus, there are many companies from around the world that recruit large a large workforce.
Some of the biggest oil and gas companies in the world are:
- Exxon Mobil
- Petro China
- Royal Dutch Shell
- Saudi Aramco
- China National Petroleum Corporation
- Kuwait Petroleum Corporation
There are countless jobs and oil and gas companies scattered in every continent. While Petroleum Engineering involves going into the ground, from a career standpoint, the sky is the limit. I know, it’s a cliched saying but it’s true here.
B.Tech. In Petroleum Engineering Salary and Payscale in Bangalore:
Freshers/ trainee engineers get paid around Rs. 25,000 on an average. The figure depends on the organization and candidates who get placed right out of college can expect a higher figure based on their academic and interview performance.
Mid-level Petroleum Engineers get paid around Rs. 7.2 – 9.5 lakhs per annum while highly experienced professionals can pocket nearly Rs. 60 lakhs per year.
Seasoned Drilling Engineers take home Rs. 60 – 70 lakhs per year, which is almost 6 lakhs a month. The median salary of Petroleum Engineers in the United States is $145,000 (Rs. 1,00,62,166) per year.
Higher Studies after B.Tech. In Petroleum Engineering in Bangalore:
Petroleum Engineering is an extremely technical field and in most cases, B.Tech. Graduates learn the tricks of the trade as they continue to work on the site and gain more experience.
However, it never hurts to have a post-graduate degree on your resume, especially in a field that needs you to be well-versed with traditional as well as modern concepts.
Master of Technology (M.Tech.) in Petroleum is the most popular option if you wish to expand your knowledge base. M.Tech programmes are up-to-date and touch upon the latest advancements in Petroleum Engineering.
Here are some of the specializations and variations that you can pick from when it comes to pursuing an M.Tech.:
- Petroleum Exploration
- Petroleum Technology
- Health, Safety and Environmental Engineering
- Petroleum Geology
- Pipeline Engineering
- Petroleum Refining and Petrochemicals
- Engineering Geology
- Applied Geology
Candidates who complete a PG degree can choose to go for a 3-year Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Petroleum Engineering.
Top 10 Best Petroleum Engineering Colleges in Bangalore 2020:
|Best Petroleum Engineering Colleges in Bangalore|
- Presidency University,Bangalore
Name of the Course:BTech Petroluem Engineering.
Course Details:BTech Petroluem Engineering is a very important course and branch of engineering. Presidency University is the only institute in Bangalore who offers this course. Therefore If we are discussing about the Best BTech Petroluem engineering colleges in Bangalore, There is no doubt and it is the one and only Presidency University,Bangalore.
Course Duration:4 Years,Full Time, Graduation program
Certifying Body:Presidency University
Eligibility Criteria:Pass in 12th Standard with an aggregate of 50% marks in Physics,Chemistry and Mathetics.
Fee Structure:Rs.6 Lakh for 4 Years
College Location: Presidency University ,Itgalpur Rajanakunte, Yelahanka, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560064
IIMS is well connected with Road, Rail and Air transportation mode which would make the transportation easier for students.
- Distance from Bangalore Airport to Presidency University:25 Kms.
- Distance from Bangalore Majestic Bus Stand to Presidency University:29 Kms.
- Distance from Bangalore Yesvanthpur railway station Presidency5University:28 Kms.
Presidency University was established in 2013 located in Bangalore, Karnataka. The university is approved by UGC. The university was established with the aim of offering quality of education in both technical & Management. The course which are offered by this institute are MBA, BE/B Tech, LAW,BA etc.
The modern endeavour of Presidency University is having evidence over 3 spans of familiarity in Higher Education. The University desires to be as excellent universities in international level with main focus on advance and technical oriented education/training and class infrastructure facilities and industry oriented curriculum.
- University believe in cultivating talent among all the aspired candidates and aims to develop the students as professional engineers, managers and global leaders this is achieved through effective teaching through distinguish faculty members who are having experience in both academic & industry.
- The main aim of the university is to shape careers of young generation who are aspired in tertiary education and empower them to develop as professional experts in their own domain with ethical values to face the global challenges.
- The university has excellent infrastructure amenities such as well-Stocked library, Seminar Hall, Auditorium, Cafeteria, ATM/Bank facility, Laboratories with modern equipment’s and advance technology and Hostel accommodation for boys & girls separately.
- Aditya Engineering College (Andhra Pradesh)
Address: Aditya Nagar, ADB Road, Surampalem – Pin:533437 East-Godavari District, Andhra Pradesh, INDIA.
- Roorkee College of Engineering (Uttarakhand)
Address: 5th Km. Roorkee-Haridwar Canal Road Bajuheri Roorkee-247667
- Anna University (Tamil Nadu)
Address: Anna University, Guindy, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600025
- Indian Institute of Technology Dhanbad (IIT) (Indian School of Mines) (Jharkhand)
Address: Police Line, Sardar Patel Nagar, Hirapur, Dhanbad, Jharkhand 826004
- Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University (Gujarat)
Address: Raisan, Gandhinagar, Gujarat 382007
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University (Andhra Pradesh)
Address: Kukatpally, Hyderabad, Telangana, India
- KL University (Andhra Pradesh)
Address: Green Fields, Vaddeswaram, Andhra Pradesh 522502
- MIT World Peace University (Maharashtra)
Address: S.No.124, Paud Road, Kothrud, Pune, Maharashtra 411038
- Vignan University (Foundation for Science, Technology & Research) (Andhra Pradesh)
Address: Guntur -Tenali Rd, Vadlamudi, Andhra Pradesh 522213
Interesting essay samples and examples on: https://essays.io/cover-letter-examples-samples/